Digital technology has a huge impact on our personal and professional lives, as seen in schools. The online world creates opportunities for self-expression, collaboration, and education, thereby shaping identity. The digital environment allows people to explore and embody different aspects of their personality. Online learning gives students the opportunity to participate in discussions, and exchange ideas and experiences without having to be in a classroom, making the learning process more convenient.

Digital platforms can help make higher education more authentic and diverse. These tools help you gain knowledge and digital skills. Online platforms that offer comprehensive learning management systems, including interactive forums, quizzes, and other features, can enhance the learning experience. I have found that using Google Docs to collaborate and Zoom for online classes has made my learning process much easier. Moreover, during the online course EDCI 339, Google Docs helped me and the team members collaborate, which increased our productivity and understanding of each other. Zoom provided real-time interaction with the group, promoting a better understanding of each other.

Instructor presence in online learning is important for student engagement and learning outcomes. As highlighted in the article “Where’s the Teacher? Defining the Role of the Instructor Presence in Social Presence and Cognition in Online Education,” an active and engaged instructor presence significantly impacts student engagement and learning outcomes. Teachers must respond to student requests in a timely manner, actively participate in discussions, and provide constructive feedback. To improve their social presence, educators can use several strategies: Regular communication. For example, sending weekly updates, reminders, and feedback via email or announcements helps maintain ongoing communication with students. Adding synchronous activities such as live Q&A sessions and real-life feedback can significantly improve student engagement. However the greater impact on students comes from personalization; calling students by name, acknowledging their contributions, and showing a genuine interest in their progress helps create a supportive and inclusive online learning environment.

These strategies improve social presence and promote more engaging and effective learning experiences. A year ago, I took an online academic writing course at Victoria University, and the helpful instructors made a significant difference in my motivation and commitment to the course. They actively participated in the virtual learning environment and it was dynamic and supportive, which enhanced my overall educational experience. Digital platforms and a strong faculty presence can lead to engaging, rich, and interactive learning experiences. Podcasts and readings have provided me with valuable insights that highlight the importance of using digital tools and strategies to create meaningful connections and achieve successful learning outcomes in the digital age.